Adapted recipe from https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_thighs_with_mushrooms_and_shallots/
Cooked for Mom and I December 2022 and it was yummy!
Chicken Thighs With Mushrooms and Green Onions
By December 24, 2022Published:
- Yield: 2 pieces (2 Servings)
- Prep: 1.5 min
Bake chicken thighs while creating a sauce with mushrooms, green onions, tarragon, wine and chicken stock.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 pieces Chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced
- 1 teaspoons fresh tarragon chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 5 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- fresh parsley garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the chicken on the stovetop: Heat olive oil in a large wide skillet on medium high heat. Pat dry the chicken pieces and lay them skin-side down in the pan to brown. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook without moving the chicken (allowing them to brown) until they are golden brown, about 7-8 minutes.
Doreen's note: I used a basic metal fry pan and the skin just cooked off the chicken. I did move the pieces around (missed that instruction). All those skin bits then went into the sauce and that was good. A non-stick pan may work better.
- Bake the chicken in the oven: Place the chicken pieces skin-side up in a roasting pan. Roast in a 350°F oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F. (Cooking time depends on the size of the chicken thighs, and how long you've cooked them in the skilled first.)
This timing is for 3 lbs of chicken thighs; I only did two put it still took 35 minutes. Be prepared for it to take longer.
- Sauté the mushrooms: While the chicken is roasting, thickly slice the mushrooms. Remove all but 1 Tbsp of the fat in the pan (do not put down the drain or you will clog your pipes). Heat the pan on medium high heat and add the mushrooms to the pan. Stir to coat with the fat in the pan.
Note: start this 15 minutes into the baking time so sauce is ready at the same time as the chicken.
- Add the shallots and tarragon: Cook for a couple of minutes until the mushrooms begin to brown and release some of their water. When the mushrooms are glossy, add the chopped shallots and tarragon and stir. Cook for another minute.
- Add the stock, wine, then cream: Add the stock and the white wine to the pan and increase the heat to high. Let the liquid reduce by half. Taste and if it needs salt, add 1/4 teaspoon or more of salt. Sprinkle with black pepper.
Stir in the cream. Lower temp to medium. Let simmer for a minute.
- Serve. The original recipe said pour mushroom sauce into bottom of serving dish then put chicken on top. I plated the two pieces I cooked and poured the sauce on. It was good to get the sauce all over the chicken.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress