I’ve made this several times. It’s one of my favorites from Uma Casa Portuguesa – Portuguese Home Cooking. Usually have made 4 to 8 servings, never bigger than that.
Ovos com molho de tomate - Eggs in Spicy Tomato Sauce
By December 23, 2015Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
(from the cookbook) Start the day Portuguese style with eggs in spicy tomato sauce. This quick and easy dish also makes a great last-minute light meal.
- 1 lb. potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp whole allspice
- dash piri-piri or Tabasco sauce
- 4 eggs
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- fresh parsley or coriander
- Peel potatoes and cut in thick julienne slices. In saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to boil. Cook for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Reduce heat to low and stir in tomato paste, wine vinegar, water, allspice and piri-piri sauce. Simmer, stirring, for about 1 minute.
- Add potatoes to saucepan and turn to coat. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add a little more water if sauce evaporates too quickly.
- Increase heat to medium. Break eggs into small bowl and carefully slip eggs into center of skillet, keeping them well apart. Sprinkle them lightly with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until egg yolks are covered with an opaque film and the whites are set. Remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley. Serve at once, directly from skillet, with lots of fresh bread.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress