Folks really liked this bread, vegans and non-vegans alike. Definitely a keeper. Found it online at www.vegkitchen.com.
I did use just whole wheat flour; didn’t find any whole wheat pastry flour in the grocery store.
Vegan Fig and Walnut Bread
By December 12, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 loaf
This recipe comes together superfast and easy. Feel free to substitute other dried fruit like raisins. apricots or dates for chopped dried figs. Awesome by itself or with a schmear of nut butter for extra protein, fiber and fun. Recipe and photo by Ellen Kanner. Shown here with the bread is Tofu Scramble with Jalapeño and Cilantro.
- 1 cup water or tea (black, green, herbal, whatever you like)
- 1/2 cup dried figs chopped and any tough stems discarded
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 grated zest from orange
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat water or tea over medium-high heat. When it just starts to bubble, turn off heat, and leaving pot on the burner, add chopped dried figs. Leave them to soften while you continue with the recipe.
- Pour chopped nuts into a shallow baking pan and toast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until walnuts are brown and buttery-smelling. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, sift together whole wheat flour and whole wheat pastry flour and baking soda, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine orange juice, oil and Sucanet or brown sugar. Whisk together until sugar dissolves.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ones. Stir in applesauce.
- Drain figs and add to batter. Gently add walnuts and stir just till combined. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until top is golden and puffed and an inserted tester comes out clean.
- Wrapped well, bread freezes well or keeps well in the refrigerator for several days, but judging by the audience last week, tends to be consumed immediately.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress