Also from Sunday Parade magazine article on holiday cookies. Putting the recipe in the blog first, then trying it. I figure typing it up will make me read it more carefully.
Postscript: They came out great. Like better than the pinwheels.
Red Velvet Crackle Cookies
By December 23, 2017Published:
- Yield: 28 cookies
"These classic cookies, adapted form Holiday Cookies by Elisabet de Nederlanden, get the "red velvet" treatment for a yuletide hue."
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate melted
- 1 tablespoon red gel food coloring
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Beat softened butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and cream. Add vanilla and eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add melted chocolate and red gel food coloring; beat until evenly colored. (I only had one ounce of unsweetened chocolate and sweetened chocolate chips so I combined and guessed at the 4 ounces Cookies came out great so it was a good guess.) (Also used a whole tube of red gel food color to get the tablespoon.)
- On low speed, add flour mixture; beat until just incorporated. Cover; refrigerate 1 hour. (Of course)
- Position oven racks, evenly spaced in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place powdered sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll dough into 1 tablespoon balls, rolling each ball in powdered sugar, coating generously.
- Place 12 cookies on each of 2 parchment-lined sheet pans, spacing them evenly. Lightly flatten each ball with the palm of your hand.
- Bake 14 minutes, or until deep cracks appear on surface, switching baking sheets between racks halfway through. (14 minutes worked great.)
- Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
You must be logged in to post a comment.