Found this online and it worked really well. Made mushroom/Swiss cheese quiches (4 of them) with Jarlsberg Swiss and they came out great. Great flavor and the custard was creamy delicious.
By December 10, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 9-inch pie (8 Servings)
Filling Ideas: • Quiche Lorraine: 6-8 slices chopped bacon, 1 diced yellow onion, 1 cup gruyere cheese • Mushroom Quiche: 16 oz mushrooms, 1/2 diced yellow onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, 2 cups gruyere cheese • Ham and Asparagus Quiche: 1/2 diced yellow onion, 1/2 pound chopped asparagus, 1 diced ham steak, 2 cups swiss cheese.
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 1 to 2 cups filling ingredients like mushrooms, bacon, onions, spinach
- 1 to 2 cups grated cheese like Gruyere, Swiss, or Cheddar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Blind-Bake the Crust: Line a 9-inch cake tin with parchment and spray the sides with non-stick spray. Roll out the pie crust and fit it into the tin. Trim away any overhang and reserve for patching up any cracks that appear during baking. Freeze the crust for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line the pie crust with parchment and fill with pie weights or beans. Make sure the weights are snug against the sides of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes and remove the weights and parchment. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until just starting to brown. Cool.
- Prepare the Filling: While the crust is baking, prepare your quiche filling. Make sure all ingredients are cooked through and fairly dry. (Ie, make sure spinach has wilted and that cooked mushrooms have released all their moisture.)
- Prepare the Quiche Filling: Sprinkle half the cheese over the bottom of the pie crust and top with the fillings. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top.
- Prepare the Custard Filling: Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, and salt until frothy. Pour the custard into the pie crust.
- Bake the Quiche: Bake the quiche at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, until the edges are set but the quiche still jiggles a little in the center. Cool for at least 20 minutes, but ideally overnight.
Quiche can be served cold, room temperature, or warmed. If serving warm, heat in a 300°F oven until just warm to the touch.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress
You must be logged in to post a comment.